Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Finding My Thing

There are a lot of things I'm not very good at. Math, for one. Or bowling, skiing, walking in high heels, cooking, science, mornings. Plus, many, many other things, I'm sure.

Here's the thing: I really believe that everyone has at least one "thing" that they are amazing at. Like, could go to the Olympics in that category if it were to exist. This belief is why I constantly try new things--because I haven't found my thing yet. I can play piano and guitar, but I'm not awesome. I'm a good volleyball player, but not Kerri Walsh. I can sing on tune, but I'm no star. I haven't found my thing yet.

What I did find out this week though, is that my thing is definitely not Basil Body Temping. Add that to the list of things I'm bad at. A year or so ago, I tried it for the first time for a couple months. My cycles were like 60-75 days long, and I wasn't really ovulating. There was no pattern, so I gave up.

A few days ago, I decided to give it another go (I started on like CD11, so...not sure what the plan was there exactly...). I've been temping for three days, and I already know I'm bad at it. The plan was to temp immediately when my alarm goes off at 6:04 a.m., even though I normally hit snooze for about an hour while Bobby gets up and ready for work. However, the last three days, I've woken up around 4 a.m. and only kind of fallen back asleep. I'm basically lying there restlessly for a few hours before taking my temp--not exactly ideal for consistent results. 

But--I'm not about to start setting my alarm at 4 a.m. to take my temp then. That is not a pattern I really want to get into. Not to mention how annoying that would be to Bobby who has to be at work by 7 a.m. My doctor suggested I get back into temping, though I'm not sure it's going to tell me anything, other than I'm a bad sleeper. And it's frustrating because I used to fall asleep moments after lying down and only wake up after my alarm went off, feeling like I'd been in a coma for a year. I was such a hard, deep sleeper for most of my life. And now, the only time when that would be useful, I can't sleep for more than a few hours in a row.

My mother-in-law has recently become involved with essential oils and herbal supplements. She keeps suggesting I take Melatonin for sleep (only when I mentioned I wasn't sleeping well, she doesn't know we're TTC). I'm afraid to even google that, because I'm sure all get all kinds of conflicting results.

My question is, has anyone had success with BBT?--and how! Share you secret! Or whatever essential oil helps you sleep (lavender probably)? Or Melatonin?

Also...if you have found your "thing," what is it?

1 comment:

  1. I don't at all know what my thing would be. Melatonin is a natural sleep aid and perfectly safe to take. I can't help you with the temping. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete